Monday, August 26, 2013

The Last Days of Summer

Tomorrow, Radha will be starting her second year of preschool.  As I prepare for all of the excitement and challenges that arrive alongside another year of learning, I'd like to take a few minutes to reflect back on what a wonderful time my family enjoyed this past summer.  While not able to take many trips with Radha and I last year, Henry has quickly grown into a little daredevil who refuses to be left behind.  It was obvious that he instinctively knew when a trip to the playground was planned by grabbing his shoes and running toward me while anxiously repeating, "Owtdoo!"  I was so happy to be able to take him along on these trips and watch as he showed off his never give up attitude and physical abilities while interacting with other children.

While our travel plans were restricted due to changes at Reese's job, our family did have the opportunity to journey to Virginia and stay with her aunt and uncle.  The kids had plenty of fun in the sun and I rode on a jet ski for the very first time (and received my very first jet ski related injury) while visiting their house at Lake Anna.  We also got to take the kids to the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History and the National Air and Space Museum Udvar-Hazy Center.  While not quite prepared to grasp all of the information thrown at them regarding the evolutions of our planet and our nation's aviation history, I think that they both benefited and hopefully gained some appreciation of these attractions.  Locally, the various trips to libraries and a favorite water park/swimming pool rounded out our summer of fun.  As a final hurrah, we took the kids to visit a local railroad where we got to ride on one of the oldest locomotives still in operation and visit with Clifford the Big Red Dog.

As can be expected, there is always a bit of trepidation with the beginning of a new school year.  I know that I should make the best use of that extra time that I'll have four days a week.  It all depends on my time management skills, which I must admit are not the best.  I'll be working to improve them starting with my early rise tomorrow.  Time moves faster and faster with each passing year.  I want to spend those valuable minutes wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment